ABOUT ALS

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) was first discovered in 1869 but it wasn’t until 1939 that Lou Gehrig brought national and international attention to the disease with his diagnosis (hence the other common name, Lou Gehrig’s disease). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
ALS is a fatal neurodegenerative disease in which a person’s brain loses connection with the muscles. People with ALS lose their functions to walk, talk, and eventually breathe.

There are 3 classifications of ALS. Sporadic, the most common form being 90-95% of all cases. Familial, which occurs more than once in a family lineage (about 5-10% of all cases). And lastly is Guamanian, the rarest form which has only occurred once in the 1950s.

On average, it takes about 1 year for a final ALS diagnosis to be made! 90% of ALS cases occur without family history and the remaining 10% are inherited from a mutated gene.

Click here to learn more about ALS at the ALS Association website.